I hate being a nag….well that isn’t totally true…but I do feel like a nag about this one but I am not going to quit.
Eating mid afternoon – between 3-5pm(ish) – is a crucial moment for your metabolism and will help you reach your health and nutrition goals.
The majority of us overeat at dinnertime. We go way too long between lunch and dinner and walk into the house starving. This leads to mindless eating and drinking. In my opinion, eating mid afternoon is the most successful approach to manage cravings and hunger and give your metabolism a boost. So many of us go for sweets or caffeine at this time for a little pick me up, but I highly encourage you to eat some real food.
Here are some ideas for you. Many of you are going to think these are slightly insane but go for it! Especially if things are really not working for you and dinnertime has become out of control, lets change things up and see if it can help. This will require a bit of planning in advance but it is well worth it. You are worth it! Set yourself up for success and make it work for you!
- I am obsessed with these kale egg cups again – so good!
- A solid, basic sandwich – 1-2 slices of bread, 2-4 ounces of protein and some mustard and veggies
- Half of your lunch
- Greek yogurt, ¼ cup of nuts, ¼ cup of fruit
- An early dinner – 3-4 ounces of protein, ½ cup of starch (or none) and as many veggies as you can get on your plate
- A yogurt and 2 TB of nut butter – still obsessed with this one too!
- Bean or quinoa salad – there are so many of these premade in stores now or make your own with beans/quinoa, cut up veggies, vinegar and some herbs of choice
- Fruit, 2 TB nut butter and maybe a cracker or two
- 1-2 cups of veggies with a heart healthy dip such as hummus, guacamole or yogurt
- Mini taco – beans, protein, salsa, guacamole
- Cottage cheese, 1 slice of bread with nut butter
- Hard Boiled egg with some toast
- Soup (not cream based) with a small slice of whole grain bread – soup with protein or beans/lentils is preferred for added protein
The key is to walk into dinnertime not starving. Have an attitude of “I can eat” rather than “I am going to eat my arm off”
Imagine that? Go get em!!!!